Men in the Arena
June 6 – 12, 2023
New York, NY
For rising college freshmen
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
– Theodore Roosevelt, The Man in the Arena
Men in the Arena
For many students preparing for their freshman year of college, top concerns include getting by in a potentially hostile environment, keeping up in a more competitive classroom, and fitting in with new friends. However, no man of consequence has ever striven to “get by”, “keep up”, or “fit in”. Men in the Arena aims to prepare rising college freshmen to confront the challenges of college and professional life head-on, inspiring those around them to live lives of service. Being a radical changemaker on campus isn’t a matter of being a “born leader”, it’s a deliberate choice, one that needs to be made before setting foot on campus. Men in the Arena features practical classes, seminars, readings, and discussions on the key academic, moral, and social issues that students will face from day one of freshmen year. The daily schedule includes Holy Mass and times of prayer.
Topics to be covered include:
- Working like a professional and using one’s time well in college
- Cultivating the mind and seeking wisdom
- Developing true friendships in college
- Dating in college vs. the hookup culture
- Navigating an unfavorable intellectual environment
- Deepening one’s life of faith in college
For more information, contact Javier Mazariegos
Application and Payment Information
- Applications received by April 30, 2023 will be given priority.
- Notification of acceptances will be sent out in May.
- For those accepted, balance of payment should be paid by June 1, 2023.
- Cost: $700.
- To make a payment, click on the “Payment” tab above and follow the instructions.