All set for Camp 2019
We have your son all set on our roster for the Pennsylvania YSI Leadership Camp to begin on Sunday, June 23, 2019.
The camp is full now and plans are underway to collect everything we need to have an excellent summer camp. We look forward to seeing your son at the camp. Below, you will find a packing list and directions to the camp.
Perhaps you have coordinated a ride for your son to the camp from a city near you. If that is the case, then a carpool or bus will take your son straight to camp. If you want your son to be part of that carpool, please make those arrangements on your own. If you are driving your son to camp, we look forward to greeting you at camp and giving you and your family a brief tour. Directions to the camp are shown below.
We ask you to respond with a simple “got it” or follow-up question about the camp using this email (firstname.lastname@example.org) in your reply so that we know you received this message. Please reply within a few days, otherwise, we will assume you didn’t receive this message and will try to contact you another way with the details below.
412-683-8448 x550 (voice mail)
Packing List for Campers
Items To Bring
- 1 laundry bag
- 1 water bottle
- 1 rain poncho
- 7 pairs of socks
- 7 pairs of underwear
- 7 T-shirts
- 2 pairs of gym shoes (cleats are optional, but no metal cleats)
- 3 gym shorts
- 1 pair of pajamas
- 2 button down collared shirts (for Mass)
- 1 pair of swimming trunks
- 1 large towel
- 2 sweatshirts and/or light jackets
- 2 pair of long pants
- toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo, comb, suntan lotion, insect repellent
- notebook, pen, pencil
- sleeping bag and small pillow
- flashlight (with new batteries)
- book(s) for reading
- musical instrument (optional)
- suggested pocket money: $20
Do Not Bring the Following Items
- tank tops
- cell phones / tablets / video game devices / music players / etc
- junk food / candy / snacks
- playing cards
- Things that go “bang”, “boom” or “pow”
349 St. Andrew Lane, Tunkhannock PA 18657*
*Please note this is a newly assigned address and GPS may not be reliable in the area.
Directions to (UNC’s) United Neighborhood Centers of Northeastern Pennsylvania Camp Kelly
349 St. Andrew Lane, Tunkhannock PA 18657*
- From 81N: Exit at Clarks Summit (Exit # 194) and take routes 6W & 11N towards Clarks Summit. After Keystone College, stay on Route 11N. Go 2.5 miles from the split and turn left at Tunnel Hill Road toward Lackawanna Trail High School. At the end of the road, turn left onto 92S. After ½ mile, make a right onto Avery Station Rd. Follow that road for 2 miles, bearing left at both forks. Turn left onto Rocky Rift Road. Make the next right onto Stark Road (you’ll see a sign for T-Town Archery). Camp Kelly will be on your right.
- From the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (Rt. 476N): Take the Turnpike to the very last exit in Clarks Summit and take routes 6W & 11N. Then follow the directions From 81N above.
- From Route 6E (or 92N): Continue through Tunkhannock and proceed past Shadowbrook (Perkins). Drive 1 mile and turn left onto Rt. 92N toward Nicholson (Deer Park Lumber will be at the intersection). Drive 1.5 miles and take the second left onto Stark Rd. Continue about 3 miles (this is a windy road, but you’re almost there!). You will pass Dottie Lou picnic grove on the right and T-Town Archery on the left. Camp will be just past T-Town on the right.
- From 29S: Turn left at the 2nd Lake Carey entrance. At the stop sign, go straight. At the restaurant “Lake Carey Inn,” bear right. This is a narrow, windy road. After ¼ mile, take the first left. Drive about 1 mile, and take the first right onto Stark Rd. Camp is about ½ mile down the road on your left.
Camp Phone Number
(starting 8pm Wednesday, June 19 until the end of camp)
One Week until Camp
We are one week away from the YSI Leadership Camp in Tunkhannock, PA! We have an excellent group of campers and counselors! We continue to ask for your prayers for everyone involved in the camp.
Please review the following items that require your attention:
On Sunday, June 23 campers should arrive at the camp between 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm (address: 349 Saint Andrew Lane, Tunkhannock, PA 18657). Sign-in and drop-off will not be available until 3:30 pm. There will be no Mass available at camp on this first check-in day.
On Saturday, June 29, we will have Holy Mass for campers and their families at 9:30 am. Campers should depart from the camp after Mass.
We will have Dad’s Night on Friday, June 28. Fathers may arrive as early as 5 pm, during camper free time. The schedule is as follows:
• 5:45 pm – Dinner (Dining Hall)
• 7:00 pm – Talk for dads (Gabriel House)
• 8:30 pm – Talent Show (Dining Hall)
We will provide cabins for fathers and their sons (please bring sleeping bags and pillows as well as toiletries and towels) on a first-come first-served basis. For those interested, we will designate an area for camping out with tents. There are also hotels available nearby. Here are some options:
• Shadowbrook Resort (201 Resort Lane, Tunkhannock, PA 18657 | 800-955-0295, shadowbrookresort.com)
• Hampton Inn (209 E Tioga St, Tunkhannock, PA 18657 | Tel. 570-996-5866)
• Comfort Inn & Suites (5 N Eaton Rd, Tunkhannock, PA 18657 | 570-836-4100)
• The Prince Hotel (45 E Tioga St, Tunkhannock, PA 18657 | Tel. 570-836-2292)
To register for Dad’s Night, please leave a voice mail at the following number and we will be sure to count you in: 412-683-8448 x550 (Voice mail for Tim Barry – Warwick House in Pittsburgh, PA). When you call, please leave the following details:
• Your name and contact phone number
• Number of son(s) who will be joining you, not counting your son(s) in the camp.
• Names of son(s) who will be joining you.
• Where you plan to stay – cabin assigned by our staff, in your own tent on the property or in a local hotel.
• Any comments or questions you might have.
Camp guidelines and packing list
Both are available at ysi.org/pa19.
The address of camp is 349 Saint Andrew Lane, Tunkhannock, PA 18657
There is very poor cell phone reception around most of the campground, and there is no internet. If you have an emergency, here is the procedure depending on timing:
• Before Noon Thursday, June 20: 412-683-8448 x550 (Voice Mail)
• From Noon Thursday, June 20 through Sunday, June 30 at 10 am: 570-836-2975 (camp office)
• After 10 AM on Sunday, June 30: 412-683-8448 x550 (Voice Mail)
As a way to foster camaraderie, we ask campers to leave their electronic devices at home.
We look forward to seeing your son at camp one week from today!